- Dress appropriately and come prepared.
- Don’t chew gum or bring food and drinks (a closed water bottle is okay) into the studio.
- Never wear dance shoes outside the studio or wear street shoes in the studio. And check for loose screws …on your taps before you step foot on the dance floor.
- Don’t wear dangling or sharp-edged jewelry.
- Leave your stuff in a dressing room or locker (unless one is not available). Put any sanctioned personal belongings at the back or sides of unused studio walls (never the front).
- Don’t come late and if you do, enter very quietly.
- Don’t leave early. If it is a must, talk to the teacher before class. If you need to exit in an emergency (it better be good), exit as quickly and discreetly as possible.
- Completely silence and stow your cell phone. Even vibration is often audible.
- Listen first, then ask relevant questions.
- Respect the personal space of others.
- Respect the dance space. Pick up trash, your clothes, and don’t turn things on, off, up, or down in the space without permission.
- Watch your language, even when you mess up.
- Don’t “hang” or slouch on the barre or anywhere else, for that matter. Be attentive at all times, especially when waiting for your turn. Beware of negative body language (like folded arms).